COLOMBIA, Monday – University of Missouri baseball scored eight times in the third inning to recover from a six-run shortfall and win the series with a 10-6 win over Kentucky on Saturday afternoon at Taylor Stadium.
Second year Ross Lovich he started the Tigers’ third eight-run run with a walk and crowned it with a two-run single as part of his day 2 on 3 and three RBI. Turin Montgomery added a 2 out of 3 afternoon with a couple of RBI while Luca Mann he also rode in two runs to help Mizzou (21-12, 5-10 SEC) win a crucial streak.
On the mound, Carter Rustad (3-1) dazzled out of the bullpen with 4.2 innings of work all season. The right-hander blocked the Kentucky bats (21-15, 5-10 SEC) after the ‘Cats jumped 6-0 in the lead. Rustad took out five and only walked two as he yielded three hits to collect the victory.
Down 6-0, Mizzou sent out 13 men in an eight-run third inning to stun the Wildcats. A walk Lovich e Josh Day stroke by step put two on board Trevor Austin who laid a single bunt to load the bases. Mann opened the scoring with a two-pointer single a hitter later to reduce the lead to 6-2. A wild pass moved two Tigers into scoring position for Montgomery who scored in the center for 6-4.
Single from Fox Leum And Nander De Sedas clear the table with bases loaded and one out. Ty Wilmsmeyer followed by an RBI walk before Lovich delivered a two-run single through the right side to put Mizzou in the lead 7-6. A double theft from Lovich and Wilmsmeyer capped the score and gave the Tigers everything they needed to win the gum game.
– Mizzou Baseball (@MizzouBaseball) April 16, 2022
THE BEST TIGERS
Carter Rustad: 4.2 IP, 3H, 0R, 2BB, 5K
Ross Lovich: 2 out of 3, 3 RBI, R
Turin Montgomery: 2 out of 4, 2 RBI, R
IN THE NOTES
- Mizzou’s eight-run third inning marked the second time this season that the Tigers have scored eight points in one frame. The previous event took place on March 15 against Saint Louis.
- Ian Lohse worked with a clear 1.1 innings to close the game. He knocked out a pair without allowing a base runner.
- Fox Leum remained hot with a 2 out of 3 day at the plate and two points scored. The designated hitter has a hit in four games in a row.
- The six-run deficit is the biggest comeback for the Tigers since overcoming a 7-0 deficit in Tennessee on May 5, 2019.
- Montgomery recorded his eighth multi-RBI game to move up to command of the team.
FROM THE JUMP
Coach Bieser returns from a 6-0 disadvantage …
“What a great teamwork. I mean at first you felt that the boys wouldn’t give up and I knew that if we could continue with some quality jokes we would have a chance to bounce back in this game with the ball and that’s exactly what it is. they did today “.
Mizzou hosts Missouri State on Tuesday night at Taylor Stadium. The first pitch is set for 6pm on SEC Network +.
FOLLOW THE TIGERS
For all the latest information on Mizzou Baseball, visit MUTigers.com. For the latest updates, follow the Tigers TwitterInstagram and Facebook.